May 15, 2023
BUTTERFLIED CHICKEN WITH CRACKED OLIVES AND HERBS
A summer dish you won’t want to miss out on!
Makes: 8 | Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 2, 3 ½ to 4 pound chickens, backbones removed
- ¼ cup Aleppo-style pepper
- 1 cup of Catelvetrano or other green olives, pitted and torn
- 6 garlic cloves, grate finely
- ½ cup La Panza Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- ¼ cup of chopped rosemary
- ¼ cup of chopped oregano
- ¼ cup of lemon juice
- ½ cup of parsley, chopped, plus leaves for garnish
- Kosher salt & fresh pepper
- One night prior to grilling chicken, place them on a surface with the breast side up and open them up against the surface. Press firmly on the breastbone using your palms to flatten the breast. Then place the chickens breast side up on a large rimmed baking sheet. Generously season with salt and pepper on both sides. Chill, uncovered, for a minimum of 8 hours, 2 days at most.
- Take the chickens out of the refrigerator a place on the counter. Combine the Aleppo-style pepper, garlic, ¼ La Panza EVOO, and rosemary in a small bowl. Take this mixture and rub it over the chickens and let it sit until it is room temperature- approximately 1-2 hours.
- Prepare your grill on medium-high, indirect heat. Place the chickens, skin side down on grate over the indirect heat. Next, cover the grill and place a cover vent (optional) to draw heat up and over. Rotate the chickens as needed and ensure even color until skins and slightly browned- approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Turn the chickens and continue to let them cook while covered and until the skins are a dark crispy golden brown. Insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken and ensure they are a minimum of 160 degrees, 20-25 minutes. Then transfer the chickens to a cutting board and let them rest for at least 10 minutes prior to carving.
- Mix the lemon juice, oregano, olive, remaining ¼ La Panza EVOO, chopped parsley and any chicken juices from the cutting board into a medium-sized bowl and season with salt.
- Arrange the carved chicken on a platter and top it with parsley leaves and olive mixture and serve!